eng   рус   deu
Call us: +374 99 547272
Back to IncomingTours home page
Back to IncomingTours home page
Home :: Attractions :: Goshavank monastery
Goshavank monastery

The monastic complex of Goshavank (Monastery of Gosh) is located in the beautiful rocky valley Ghetik the Aghstev River tributary, 16 km from Dilijan. The monastery was erected in XII century on the place of an ancient monastery Getik, which was destroyed by an earthquake of an 1188. Mkhitar Gosh, a wise diplomat and fabulist, and author of the first criminal code, took part in building the monastery. In 1213, after his death, the monastery was called Goshavank in his honor.

Goshavank does not have outer walls, and is surrounded by village homes. All of the buildings are attached to each other except for S. Hripsime Chapel, which is on the opposite hillside and within view.

The main St. Astvatsatsin and St. Gregory churches belong to the types widespread in the tenth to the thirteenth centuries — the domed tall or the cross-winged domed building with four annexes in the corners of the central crossing.

The monastery of Goshavank, together with that of Haghartsin, may become part of a natural site based on the state protected area of Dilijan National Park, an important forest in north-eastern Armenia.

  • About Armenia
  • Attractions
  • Entertainments
  • Concierge Service
Follow Us
Online Consultant
For travel agents
Weather
Yerevan
°C
Moscow
°C
Paris
°C
London
°C
Dubai
°C
Currency Rates
1 USD
482.01
AMD

1 EUR
540.96
AMD

1 RUR
8.56
AMD

Map
Contacts
+374 10 54 72 72
+374 93 61 23 48
Baghramyan st. 2/80
Yerevan Armenia
armsacvoyage@gmail.com
info@sacvoyage.am

SacVoyageTravel_Armenia

ICQ:582201589