eng   рус   deu
Call us: +374 99 547272
Back to IncomingTours home page
Back to IncomingTours home page
Home :: Attractions :: Amberd
Amberd
Amberd was a midcentury fort-city. It was built during the 10th century, 7 km. to the north of Byurakan village, of the historical Aragatzotn district. It was situated in the triangular cape where the rivers Arkashen and Amberd were joined, at an elevation of 2300m. height.

The mansion and some parts of the fortress's wall were constructed in the 7th century. In the 10th century it was the military defense center of the Bagratuni and Pahlavuni kingdoms.

The ruins of the Amberd's fortress including the walls, the church, the bathroom and other sections were preserved. The fortress had an irregular triangular shape. The most accessible section from the outside of the three-storey mansion was located at the north-western section of the fort-city, and it streched for approximately 1500 km. On the southern side of the mansion, which faced the center of the fort window, openings of the upper storeys were preserved. For defense reasons, the lower story did not have windows, instead it had a small entrance hidden by a sliding stone door.

The mansion's storeys were separated from each other by wooden boards attached to timbers. Each storey had a table-type room. Amberd's church was built in 1026 by Vahram Pahlavuni. It is the first church constructed with double entries from all four corners of the cross-wings.

During excavation, weapons, decorations, coins and other such items of metal were discovered.

 

  • About Armenia
  • Attractions
  • Entertainments
  • Concierge Service
Follow Us
Online Consultant
For travel agents
Weather
Yerevan
°C
Moscow
°C
Paris
°C
London
°C
Dubai
°C
Currency Rates
1 EUR
546.64
AMD

1 RUR
8.02
AMD

1 USD
478.88
AMD

Map
Contacts
+374 10 54 72 72
+374 93 61 23 48
Baghramyan st. 2/80
Yerevan Armenia
armsacvoyage@gmail.com
info@sacvoyage.am

SacVoyageTravel_Armenia

ICQ:582201589