eng   рус   deu
Call us: +374 99 547272
Back to IncomingTours home page
Back to IncomingTours home page
Back to IncomingTours home page
Back to IncomingTours home page
Home :: Kotayk
Kotayk
Kotayk Marz

Area:
 2038 km2
Population: 328900
Administrative Center: Hrazdan
Distance from Yerevan to Hrazdan: 50 km
Mountains: Pambak range, Arjanots range, Geghama range, Dzor 2628m, Tsaghkaniats 2821m, Menaksar 2399m, Hatis 2529m, Sevkatar 3225m, Yerakatar 2590m, Ampasar 3825m
Lakes: Akna, Hrazdan 
Rivers: Hrazdan, Getar, Marmarik, Arzni Shamiram channel 
National Parks: Khosrov, Erebuni
Hrazdan: Gallery. Makaravank monastery, 13th c.
Tsaghkadzor: Sport, Tourist and Medical Center. House-Museum of H.Orbeli. Kecharis monastery , 11-13th cc.
Bjni: Fortress, temple, 11th c.. St. Sargis chapel, 7th c.
Abovian: Daran medieval fortress.
Arzni: Sanatoriums.
Kaputan: Surb Astvatsatsin church, 1349.
Ptghni: Temple, 6-7th cc.
Garni: Fortress and summer residence of Armenian kings, 1st c. A.D. Architectural monuments, 5-11th cc.. Unique gorge of river Azat.
Garni pagan temple was built in 1st c. A.D. and was devoted to one of the Armenian pagan Gods - Mitra. After Armenia converted to Christianity in the 4th c., the rulers of the country used the temple as their summer residence. King Khosrov stayed there often as the area was his favorite hunting ground. Garni was destroyed when the Arabs conquered Armenia but was rebuilt in the beginning of the 10th c.. Its final destruction came in 1638 during the Turkish invasion. A violent earthquake buried what remained from it in 1679. The complete restoration of the temple began in 1970 and was completed in 1978. The temple consists of dwellings and bath quarters built in 3rd c. In Roman style. This temple was considered a marvel among the temples of the Orient. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it is the only example of the Hellenistic architecture on the territory of Modern Armenia and Caucasus. The fantastic landscape of Garni canyon shakes the human imagination.

Geghard: Monastery, 12-13th cc.. Falls, caves. 
Geghard was initially known simply as Irivank (Cave Monastery). The name refers to the biblical lance used by a Roman soldier to pierce Christ's body. Hundreds of khachkars (cross-stones) and caves are built in the rocks surrounding the Monastery.
Yeghvard: 
Zoravor church, 7th c.. Basilica, 5th c. 
Surb Astvatsatsin temple-tomb, 1301.

Share |