eng   рус   deu
Call us: +374 99 547272
Back to IncomingTours home page
Back to IncomingTours home page
Home :: Attractions :: Dilijan
Dilijan
"If there are woods, mountains and mineral waters in paradise, it will be like Dilijan".
Yu. Kirillova

The health resort town Dilijan surrounded by the Lesser Caucasus mountain-range lies to the north-eastern part of the Republic of Armenia, in the valley of the river Aghstev, at a height of 1100-1510 meters above sea level. It borders with the Bazums in the north-east, the Pambaks - in the west and south-west, the Murghuzes- in the east and the Areguns- in the south-east.

The gorge mountain-ranges are covered with rich forests changing to alpine meadows at the alp. The town reformed highway joints the town with the capital Yerevan (96 km), Vanadzor and Ijevan (35-40 km). Since 1986 Dilijan has been jointed with railway network of the Republic (Dilijan-Yerevan section forms 144 km).

As a climatic balneal health centre of medium- mountain zone, Dilijan is characterized by mild, moderate warm summer, sunny warm winter and dry warm weather during the whole year. The average temperature of July is 18 degrees above zero and the average range of temperature of January is from 0 to 2 degrees above zero. The air dryness particularly appears in winter and spring. The atmospheric moisture capacity forms 70 percent, rainfall is 637mm, sunlight duration is 2091 hours.

Due to archaeological investigations conducted in the 70s of the 19th century, the man has been living here since the Late Bronze and the Early Iron Ages (the end of 2000 BC-the beginning of 1000).

Burial mounds have been found out in the residential areas of Redkin camp, Khrtnanots and Papanino. The most of the materials found are now at museums in Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Tbilisi, Baku and Yerevan, the reminder is at the Dilijan Geological Museum. The exact date of foundation of Dilijan is unknown as yet. The modern territory of Dilijan was a part of the historic Great Hike and was situated in Varazhnunik province of Airarat region. In the 4th century when Armenia was shared between Byzantium and Persia these lands (historic Hovk) formed part of Dzorapor province in Gugark region and served as royal hunting and rest place for Armenian kings. The names of the territory of Dilijan and its borders had been changed several times as a result of historic events. In the 8th century these lands became a part of Kayen state and then a part of Kust-Artsakhyan state. From the 15th century up to the Eastern Armenia's joining Russia they were a part of Gandzak khanate. Later on these lands have become a part of Yelizavetpol province. There are several hypotheses concerning the etymology of town name. There is also a historical hypothesis connecting the explanation of town name with a duke of the same name. In 1666 the name Dilijan has been first mentioned in French traveller Jean Chardon's travel notes. Due to historical sources of the beginning of the 19th century Dilijan was one of the 27 villages in Ghazakh province and had 60 houses' population. It is also known that in the end of the 18th and in the beginning of the 19th centuries the people from Achajur, Sarigyugh, Sevqar villages of Ijevan region and Koti of Noyemberyan region had removed to Dilijan making up the main population of town.

As a health-centre Dilijan has already become to develop in the end of the 19th century attracting campers with its exclusive healing air and wonderful landscape. The most of campers have settled down here having built houses and villas, and a part of patients with chronic diseases have stayed in Dilijan as permanent residents. All this promoted the formation of Dilijan as an urbanized area. The first hospital "Lazaret" was founded in 1888-1889-s with the support of three physicians and drugstore. Rich men of Transcaucasia especially of Tbilisi, were building their houses and villas according to the style of their dachas concurrently using Dilijan home-building traditions. Exterior house decoration elements brought here by Malakan sectarians who removed to Dilijan in the 30-s of the 19th century influenced the house building style. As a result the "Dilijanian" building style architecture with gable roof, nice patterned balconies and whitewashed walls was molded and then it was spread all over the Aghstev valley. The economy and culture of town was gradually developing. In 1868 the first school was founded. The next school was founded at Poghoskilisa (now it is Shamakhyan residential area), some churches were built. In 1908 the first library was open. Drama study groups were functioning, summer clubs and entertainment places were founded and the most significant one was the famous "Rotonda" ("domelike building"- translation from French) that had been functioning since 1900. It was one of the most favourite places of Armenian intellectuals and Dilijanians' most attended place. It has functioned till 1936.

Owing to the natural climatic agents the first TB dispensary of the republic was open in Dilijan in 1921. Taking into account town's resort opportunities the government had given the republican subordination condition to Dilijan.

According to RA National Council's decision since 1996 Dilijan has been involved in Tavoush region as a political subdivision.



  • About Armenia
  • Attractions
  • Entertainments
  • Concierge Service
Follow Us
Online Consultant
For travel agents
Weather
Yerevan
°C
Moscow
°C
Paris
°C
London
°C
Dubai
°C
Currency Rates
1 EUR
546.64
AMD

1 RUR
8.02
AMD

1 USD
478.88
AMD

Map
Contacts
+374 10 54 72 72
+374 93 61 23 48
Baghramyan st. 2/80
Yerevan Armenia
armsacvoyage@gmail.com
info@sacvoyage.am

SacVoyageTravel_Armenia

ICQ:582201589